Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Days Of Endurance: Birth Of A Family



KAKOM: It's the real deal, baby!

So Perlis Matriculation College looks bigger and the layout seems more orderly but looks can be deceiving. Seriously, I don't get me started on the toilets. I believe I can endure anything after experiencing bathing in those toilets.

The mornings on Saturday and Sunday were free for me cause my competition was on Monday. After breakfast and a dose of the poco-poco dance, it was off to the sports complex. I didn't know the timing of each game so whenever I see a Melaka jersey, I would stand by the court and cheer. My cheering would be limited cause my voice was crucial for my competition.

You know the funny part, everyone who meets me thinks I'm a tennis player. Hey, I actually can play tennis. I laughed inside everytime they said that because I kept my accent to myself during my time there. I would only speak English during certain times and with certain people. I mean half of my Kakom family have no idea of my fluency towards English.




Competition time was scary. I was literally shaking when I was on stage. But after the first few minutes, things started to calm down. Yeah, I forgot my lines for a little while but hey, nobody's perfect. During the break, I had a bond with one of the public speakers from MARA. She was just like me, talks with an accent, has an infatuation with gourmet food, loves the lavish side of life, craves low fat macchiato during rainy days and we both have a thing for guys with well sculptured bodies.



Before the impromtu speech, all of the contestants were locked in a hall for waiting. There was the time were we got to see the real public speakers. It was nice to be in a group where you can freely talk in English plus all the sophisticated words and not worry if they understand or not.

Thanks to the grace of God, one of the topics that was written in that piece of paper they gave to me was Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. I exhaled happily when i saw those 3 words. Environment, jackpot!!! I can't really say much about my impromtu speech cause I can't remember much about it. Weird right?

Ok, when they announced my name for the silver medal, the first thing that popped in my head was "Oh... they are calling my name". Seriously, there wasn't an ounce of optimism in me. It was more like a surprise. Don't judge me as ungrateful but the happiness didn't sink in until later.




After my competition ended, it was off to the sports complex to see my basketball boys play against Perlis. Then all I would do is just cheered for any game that involved KMM. Since my competition was over, my voice was used to its full potential. It was amazing how much team spirit was emanated in every game. It actually made us stronger as a team.




Head banging to the beats of: Patron Tequilla by Paradiso Girls Ft Eve & Lil' John

Hasta Luego!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! So regret that i didnt chosen as a KAKOM player.. u make me jealous.. So u gonna to buy for me a lunch~! peace~

    ReplyDelete